Tuesday, July 15, 2008

Translations

Please leave a comment here with the Bible translation you'd most like to see.

I've had one vote for Reina-Valera (in Spanish), which definitely looks doable as the 1909 version is in the public domain. Which means no licensing necessary.

I've seen some complaints in the iPhone app store about the modern translations costing too much, some saying they'll wait for the "free" version. Unfortunately, the most modern translations will not be free any time soon. Those of us who want our Bibles installed on our devices locally will have to pay a fee to the publisher.

Now, if you're always connected to the internet and are willing to put up with the slower response, there are some web sites (and corresponding iPhone apps) that offer modern translations for free. Good for them! I'm glad such ministries exist. If anyone wants to underwrite, say, the NIV for VerseWise, contact me and I'll let you know where to send your checks. ;)

Not to say I'm not interested in modern translations. I have contacted some publishers. But when released, these versions of VerseWise will cost more than the King James and Reina-Valera versions, not because that's what *I* want but because that's what the licensing fees + app store overhead require.

Anyone know of good public domain Bible translations in other languages? Drop me a line.

13 comments:

Anonymous said...

Would very much like the NIV. I understand the licensing fee but don't know what that equates to. My second choice would be the Living Bible. I really need something that isn't dependent on an internet connection though. I don't get reception in our church sanctuary.

Bruce Geerdes said...

There are certainly more requests for NIV than anything else at this point. My personal favorite is NKJV, but I may be able to put my bias aside. We'll see. :)

Thanks for your comment!

Anonymous said...

Bruce, thanks for your product. My personal favorite is NKJV as well. Hopefully it will be available in the near future.

Anonymous said...

I would love to have the NASV.

Thanks...

Eternal Seeker said...

NKJV and Amplified are my top picks. Would love to see those available on this app!

Anonymous said...

I like your app. and it seems to work well.

The version I would like to see would be JPS (Jewish Publication Society) version.

Thanks

Levi

Anonymous said...

I like your app and like the fact that you can change the size of the text. I would be willing to pay more to see the NKJV. How much is it to underwrite for the licensing?

Bruce Geerdes said...

Hi Frank, I don't know the licensing details yet. Looking at Bible products for other phones, though, they've priced NKJV around $16. I'd like to do it for less of course; we'll see.

Anonymous said...

I'm looking for a german translation like Luther 1912 which is without licensing fee. I have a bible programm on my palm with several tranlations. Any chance to get the translations on the iphone?

Bruce Geerdes said...

Yes, there is a chance. Thank you for pointing me to that public domain translation. (I'm not that familiar with what's available in other languages and what's popular or accepted.)

I'm working on 1.1 functionality right now, then I'll look at working on these other translations.

Pb. Frank Penha said...

Hello friend, could youuuu pleasseeeee, put the option of "Almeida" (portuguese - brazilian bible), others bibles have reina valera spaninsh bible. But NOone put brazilian bible, you can look for the text on http://www.ccel.org/ccel/bible/pt.html. thanks very much!

Anonymous said...

Your program has the most ease of use I've seen. I know many iPhone users I've showed the KJV to would pay $20 for NKJV or NIV.

Bruce Geerdes said...

Hi Jon, thanks!

I'm working on getting NKJV.